Artist in Residence Application
The Kaplan Institute's Artist in Residence Program brings internationally acclaimed artists to campus for short term residencies. The program seeks to facilitate production of new work and to provide insight into the process of conceptualizing and producing creative work.
Since 2008, the Kaplan Institute has hosted more than 30 innovative and award-winning artists working in diverse media. The Institute situates the artist within a scholarly interdisciplinary community where they share their practice with the broader Northwestern community through screenings, exhibitions, lectures, concerts, readings, and performances.
A department or program at Northwestern must nominate and cosponsor an artist for residency. The residency provides a stipend, production budget, and housing, and artists are expected to have substantial interaction with students over the course of the residency through a public event as well as open studios, teaching appointments, and/or short-term seminars or workshops.
Call for Applications — 2021 and Beyond
Application deadline to be announced in early 2021
The Kaplan Humanities Institute will invite proposals for Artists in Residence for the 2021-2022 academic year and beyond. Artists typically come for an entire quarter and must interact with the campus community, as well as work on a project of their choosing. Full residency details can be found in the Application Cover Sheet in #3, below. All applications for Kaplan Artists in Residence must come directly from a Northwestern faculty member and must have the direct support of the sponsoring department’s chair.
Online Application Instructions
- Please prepare PDFs of all required documents (see list below) before proceeding to the online application portal, as you will not be able to save an incomplete application.
- In the application portal, please complete the Official Contact Information and Academic Information sections.
- Application Documents Section: Please upload the following documents into the portal fields indicated in parentheses. Documents must be submitted as PDFs (including the completed application form) and file names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other similar characters.
- Completed application cover sheet (Upload as Cover Letter).
- Artist’s CV (upload as Curriculum Vitae)
- Artist’s statement (1-2 pages) (upload as Brief Personal Statement)
- Statement of intent describing what your department hopes to accomplish through this residency and how this artist would contribute to the Northwestern and humanities community (1-2 pages) (upload as Additional Materials)
- Sample of work (as a single pdf with 3-10 samples, or a document with urls to the samples) (upload as Publication List)
- Sample of recent publications and/or publicity (optional) (upload as Recent Publication #1, #2, #3)
- Chair Approval: To indicate the approval of the sponsoring department/program chair, please forward email correspondence signaling the approval—or request the chair to email their approval directly—to Jill Mannor (email@example.com), Kaplan Institute Communications Coordinator.
Application Portal Link:
The application portal will be opened when the artist in residence call is published.
Please email Jill Mannor at firstname.lastname@example.org.Back to top