Apply for a Co-Sponsorship
The Kaplan Institute aims to support new humanities conversations on campus, and we invite Northwestern faculty and graduate students to apply for funding for humanities-related programming that benefits the Northwestern community.
- Fall: October 14, 2021 (Thursday)
- Winter: January 20, 2022 (Thursday)
- Spring: April 7, 2022 (Thursday)
Criteria for Kaplan co-sponsorship
We are interested in supporting proposals that engage participants from different spheres (i.e., students and faculty; multiple departments and disciplines). We are also interested in 1) interdisciplinary events that would likely not receive enough funding in a single department or program; or 2) very high-impact disciplinary events that will strengthen the humanities in general.
- Events must engage a range of audiences, units, and disciplines; those programs that exclusively appeal to a single department or discipline are not recommended for Kaplan co-sponsorship
- Events must follow Northwestern COVID-19 protocols, and be accessible to the Northwestern community, whether face-to-face or remote/virtual
- Travel to conferences and student trips abroad are not eligible for funding
NOTE: Co-sponsorship funding is awarded by Kaplan to the grantee's home department or program via chartstring; Kaplan does not manage administration or payments for co-sponsored events.
We have limited funds available for humanities events spearheaded by undergraduate students who are affiliated with the Kaplan Humanities Institute. Please contact Jill Mannor if you are an affiliated undergraduate interested in applying for event co-sponsorship.
To apply for Kaplan co-sponsorship, please prepare the items listed below into a single document:
- Project overview/request —no more than one page—including:
- Description of event/series (include date/s if confirmed)
- Event conveners
- Confirmed speakers (one-line bios)
- Expected audience (size and participants) and an assessment of the event's impact on the humanities at Northwestern
- Proposed budget, including specific amount requested from Kaplan IF APPLICANT IS A GRAD STUDENT: A brief email confirming the support of the faculty who will oversee the grad student committee is also required.