Faculty Fellowship Program
2021-2022 FACULTY FELLOWSHIPS - KAPLAN INSTITUTE FOR THE HUMANITIES
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wed., February 3, 2021
*With two external (non-Northwestern) reference letters due no later than 2/5/21
THE KAPLAN INSTITUTE FOR THE HUMANITIES invites faculty members working in the humanities and humanistic social sciences in the Weinberg School of Arts and Sciences, Bienen School of Music, Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing and Communications, and the School of Communication to apply to become Humanities Institute Fellows. Faculty may apply for a 50% teaching reduction (which doesn't count against the leave clock), or, funds permitting, a full year of supported leave. These fellowships enable Northwestern faculty to pursue independent projects of significance to the humanities while immersed in an interdisciplinary community of scholars.
WHAT ARE HUMANITIES FELLOWS?
Fellows join a vibrant community of faculty, graduate students, and undergraduates from across disciplines at Northwestern to discuss research in the humanities. Activities include:
- Participating in Institute events while in residence on campus throughout the 2021-2022 academic year. These include the lunch seminars ("Kaplan Conversations") held on Wednesdays at noon, Harris Lectures, Dialogue events, Chicago Humanities Festival "Northwestern Day" events, and the Future Directions Forum, among others.
- Presenting a 20-minute talk based upon Institute-supported research at a Wednesday "Kaplan Conversation."
- Demonstrating that the research leave will have an impact on undergraduate teaching. Fellows typically offer a new, one-quarter undergraduate course in the humanities in the year immediately following the fellowship year. This course often incorporates research undertaken during the fellowship year.
HOW ARE THE FELLOWSHIPS AWARDED?
Three senior humanities scholars from outside Northwestern, completely unaffiliated with the university, evaluate applications for scholarly merit. Fellowships are judged on the originality, quality, clarity, and importance of the proposed project as well as the applicant’s ability to contribute productively to an interdisciplinary group. Final selections are based on the external reviewers’ rankings and the need to ensure distribution across rank and department.
WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR ELIGIBILITY?
The following applies to ALL APPLICANTS:
- Full-time faculty members on continuous appointments may apply.
- Applicants must be eligible for an academic leave and must secure approval/confirmation of eligibility for leave from their Department Chair before applying.
- Faculty applying for a full year of fellowship funding must also simultaneously apply for an external fellowship—please indicate that you’ve done so in your cover letter.
- Applicants for a teaching reduction may not have been on leave in 2020-2021.
- Faculty members are not allowed to apply for a fellowship during the year in which they are up for tenure review.
- Previous Institute Fellows may apply for a second fellowship only after an interval of five years. Preference is given to applicants who have not previously held a fellowship at the Institute and to projects that have not been previously funded by the Institute.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES:
For applicants from Weinberg College:
- Only those eligible for a leave in 2021-2022 may apply to expand the normal one-quarter leave into a full-year leave.
- Faculty must apply for leave on Weinberg's website: https://www.weinberg.northwestern.edu/faculty/forms/faculty_leave_of_absence.html
- Teaching reductions do not count against a faculty member’s ongoing “leave clock.”
- In accordance with Weinberg College policy, faculty teaching loads may not fall below one course in any given year.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Please visit our Online Application Instructions and review all instructions on the page prior to clicking through to the Application Portal, as you will not be able to save an incomplete application. Submit your application electronically BY 11:59 PM ON WED. , FEBRUARY 3, 2021. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format (not MS Word). Two (2) letters of reference from external (outside of Northwestern) recommenders are due on 2/5/21; recommendations will not be accepted beyond this date.
IMPORTANT: APPROVALS REQUIRED BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION:
To indicate approval/confirmation of eligibility for leave from your Department Chair (and Dean, when applicable), please forward your email correspondence signaling the approval—or request the Chair/Dean to email their approval directly—to Tom Burke at email@example.com.
All other application materials must be submitted via the online application portal.