Nominations - ACLS Emerging Voices Fellowship
The Kaplan Institute is now accepting Northwestern nominations for the ACLS Emerging Voices Fellowship for the 2021-2022 academic year.
northwestern nomination DEADLINE
Monday, April 5, 2021 (11:59pm)
Fellowship Overview and Nominator Information
The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) is pleased to announce the second competition of the Emerging Voices Fellowship. The program allows recent PhDs in the humanities and humanistic social sciences to take up one-year positions at select institutions in ACLS’s Research University Consortium for the 2021-2022 academic year. At a time of economic downturn and uncertainty in academe, the fellowships provide support for a vanguard of scholars whose voices, perspectives, and broad visions will strengthen institutions of higher education and humanistic disciplines in the years to come.
Northwestern is soliciting nominations for fellowship candidates, and a committee will select four (4) from that pool to forward to the ACLS. The ACLS will notify candidates of their nomination and request for them to submit application materials.
Nominations may only be made by Northwestern faculty members.
Emerging Voices Fellowships provide a $60,000 stipend plus benefits, $5,000 in research/professional development funding, childcare or elder care costs, and access to ACLS professional development resources. Up to 45 fellowships will be available for a fall semester 2021 start date. Given the uncertainty of travel and campus plans, we anticipate that work will be remote for the academic year 2021-2022. NOTE: Candidates will not be permitted to hold Emerging Voices Fellowships at their PhD-granting institution.
Emerging Voices Fellows will join a robust community of practice in the publicly engaged humanities and will have the opportunity to draw on networks of related ACLS programs, including alumni of the Mellon/ACLS Leading Edge Fellows and Scholars and Society Fellows. The diverse experience of the ACLS community is a shared resource that fellows are encouraged to draw on during and after their fellowship terms.
Visit the ACLS website for complete details:
- Nominees must have a PhD in the humanities or humanistic social sciences. The PhD degree must be completed between January 1, 2018 and August 15, 2021 (including defense and filing) and conferred by October 1, 2021.
- Nominees must be authorized to work legally in the United States for the entire duration of the year-long fellowship term. Neither ACLS nor the host organization can sponsor fellows for visas.
- Nominees' PhDs may be in any field in the humanities or humanistic social sciences. See FAQ for further information.
Nominators should take into account that this program seeks to sustain emerging scholars who are “both-and”: who are both outstanding scholars and effective communicators to diverse audiences inside and/or outside the classroom. Priority in the review process will be given to nominated applicants who:
- Show promise of making the humanities meaningful to non-specialist audiences
- Come from diverse backgrounds including historically underrepresented groups such as Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, American Indian or Alaskan Native communities, and people with disabilities
- Have experience or show promise of leadership in institutional contexts or within their disciplines or interdisciplinary area of study
Nominated candidates will be asked to describe their potential contribution to programmatic needs in their disciplinary or interdisciplinary field or area, in particular: how they use the classroom as a vehicle to attract students to humanistic study and research, and how they approach inclusive online teaching.
Nomination Process and Materials
ACLS Emerging Voices Fellowships nominations are accepted via an online portal (see link below). Only Northwestern faculty may nominate candidates to Northwestern's competition.
- Documents must be PDFs—please compile the requested information into single PDFs for upload.
- Note that we’ve adapted a faculty search portal for this nomination process—please disregard wording in the portal that suggests this is a faculty search.
Nominator instructions for filling out the application form
"Official Contact Information" section:
Nominators: please complete the online application form with YOUR (the nominator’s) information. All information regarding the nominee will be in the PDF attachment.
"Academic Information" section:
Again, please simply fill out these sections with YOUR (the nominator’s) information. These are sections that we are unable to remove from the online portal.
What to upload for “COVER LETTER”
Please upload to the “cover letter” section a single PDF that includes the following information:
- Name and department of nominator
- Name of nominee
- Email of nominee
- Anticipated PhD completion date for nominee (quarter and year)
- Nominee’s department and sub-field
- Nominee’s advisor
- A brief narrative (2-3 paragraphs) in which nominators include (a) information highlighting the strengths and qualities of the candidate, especially those related to their potential to make the humanities meaningful to non-specialist audiences, and (b) context on why this candidate should be chosen as one of four Northwestern nominees.
What to upload for “CURRICULUM VITAE”
Please obtain and upload the nominee’s curriculum vitae and upload as a single PDF.
What to upload for “RESEARCH STATEMENT”
Please obtain a dissertation abstract from the nominee (no more than one full page, single-spaced) and upload as a single PDF.
Please click the link below to submit your application materials by 11:59pm on Monday, April 5, 2021:
Application and Award Timeline
- Nominations are due to the Kaplan Institute via the Kaplan online portal by April 5, 2021
- The four Northwestern nominees selected to go forward to the national competition will be notified on or near April 19. The ACLS will contact these four nominees directly with complete application instructions, as well as instructions on securing letters of recommendation.
- Nominees will have until May 14 to complete the full ACLS application.
- Award notifications will be sent by July 3.
Please contact Tom Burke: firstname.lastname@example.orgBack to top