The Humanities Dialogue
A year-long conversation about care and its possibilities
protection • concern • caution • labor • welfare • service • voluntarism • mentoring • illness •
disability • intimacy • charity • emotions • trust • sustainability • feminism
- How can focusing on care help us manage the turbulence of climate change, a pandemic, and social discord?
- What new forms of care are emerging? How has care been understood in the past?
- Who and what is deemed worthy—or not worthy—of care?
- How and when is carework carried out, and for whom?
The Kaplan Humanities Institute will partner with Northwestern departments and programs in our year-long series of conversations around the theme of CARE.
The goal of this Dialogue series is to build a multi-layered conversation showcasing ways that different humanities- and art-related approaches shape the debate around a timely subject. We seek to support artists, public intellectuals, activists, and scholars from a variety of disciplines, geographical areas of focus, and historical periods. The CARE Dialogue will include:
- A keynote dialogue – a discussion between scholars, artists, and activists on the theme of CARE;
- Event co-sponsorship – for speakers who will provide different perspectives on CARE from any era, approach, or region;
- Related curriculum – to advertise courses that relate to our theme so that students can join our collective brainstorming;
- Course enhancement grants – funds for enriching any courses related to the theme.
Visit the CARE Dialogue Events page for 2022 event listings: https://humanities.northwestern.edu/about/events/care-dialogue-21-22/care-events.html
Kaplan will offer 6-8 event co-sponsorships for distinguished scholars and artists.
For co-sponsorship consideration:
Kaplan will award co-sponsorships on a rolling basis, and will accept proposals through the end of winter quarter (March 11, 2022).
Are you teaching a course related to the CARE theme in 2021-2022? Kaplan will promote it in connection with the Dialogue series. Please send the course title and quarter it will be offered to Jill Mannor: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course enhancement grants
Enrich the content of your CARE-related course with funds to cover performances, field trips, or guest lecturer honoraria (within university pandemic guidelines). Full details on the request form here (please download this form to your desktop to fill out/send).
Submit your completed form to Jill Mannor: email@example.com.
Kaplan will award course enhancement grant requests on a rolling basis throughout the academic year.